Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Just Won Sandwich Making

When brainstorming sandwich ideas, what I like to do is set a challenge for myself. This isn't meant to set myself up for failure or anything, but more because I feel like true greatness cannot be fully realized without hardships or difficulty. Would Michael Jordan have been so great if he didn't have to defeat Isaah, Magic, Clyde, Ewing, Stockton & Malone? For those who do not understand this analogy and are also not capable of reading between the lines, like, at all, the answer to this question is a resounding no.

In the past I have challenged myself to create sandwiches by venturing outside of what I consider to be traditional breads. I've also challenged myself to create sandwiches that are completely vegetarian. This week I decided to challenge myself to construct a sandwich that was mostly centered around fruit. To be fair, this is not a new idea, as this is a challenge that I also set out to conquer last summer... I've found myself repeating this challenges, but in all honesty, who cares, cause I'm making delicious sandwiches.

The idea for this weeks sandwich came from a delicious salad that my wonderful wife made recently, of which apples had a starring role in. Apples have a great sweetness to them, and I decided that if I could successfully incorporate them into a sandwich, then I would have a tasty meal on my hands.

Mission accomplished. I hate to say this two weeks in a row (because it diminishes how serious I am when I say this), but this may be the best sandwich I have ever made. I took sliced oven-roasted chicken, melted a generous portion of swiss cheese on top of it, and then sliced up an even generous-er portion of both golden delicious and granny smith apples on top of that. On one slice of my toasted Wegman's Honey & Apple Oat bread (total win here, by the way) was Dinosaur BBQ sauce, and the other was a thin layer of mayo. Like I said before, I think this could be my crowning achievement in sandwich making. I can't wait to make new friends so I can make this sandwich for them at an undetermined time in the future. Obviously the arbitrary scoring system rates this bad boy at a 10, but that's only because the meter goes no further than that (Maybe I'll put in an 11... Not sure we have the technology for that). Either way, this week was a rousing success.

This weekend Erin, Ben and I are going to be headed to Mount Vernon on our 62 mile 'rest' ride the weekend before the race. With the race only one week away, I feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment