Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hawaiian Sandwich Week

Since beginning this sandwich experiment several weeks ago, many of the ingredients and concepts have changed. What I've tried to stay pretty consistant on, however, is looking at sandwiches in a different light. I've tried to challenge myself on what I can put into sandwiches, and I've tried in many cases to actually re-consider what I believe a sandwich to actually be. This may sound like a bunch of sandwich nerd talk, but it's really helped me become more creative when it comes to inventing new sandwich creations.

My questioning of what ingredients constitute a good sandwich ultimately lead me to this week's invention. While trying to brainstorm new ideas for sandwiches, I found myself always gravitating towards the same ingredients -- Lettuce, Tomato, Onions, Peppers... I recognized that there was an entire food group (fruits) that I instantly disregarded. Whether for a reason or not, it's what was happening, and so because of that, I chose to incorporate this forgotten part of the food pyramid into my sandwich for the week.

The highlight of this sandwich is the pineapple salsa. I cut up some pineapple, and added red, green, and jalepeno peppers along with red onion, lime juice, and some cilantro. The salsa turned out quite amazing, if I do say so myself, and it's been a hit around the office this week. The actual sandwich has been a very solid performer all week. I toast a white kaiser roll, and then put ham on one side. I then melt mozzarella cheese on top of the ham and them put a generous portion of the pineapple salsa on the other side. After that, it's just a matter of mashing both sides into a harmonious Hawaiian marriage.

After a week of this sandwich, I've decided that the sandwich itself leaves a bit to be desired. Although tasty, it's not miraculous, and there are probably things that I could do to it to make it better. I would give the sandwich a 7.5/10 on my scale. HOWEVER, the pineapple salsa is in fact a 10/10. This is almost certainly a dish I would serve at any dinner party I would be hosting in my imaginary world where I host dinner parties. This stuff is great, and I will totally consider making it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment