Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pre-Race Sandwich Week

This Saturday is my second-ever century ride. It's for this reason that I didn't put a lot of effort into turning the sandwich world on it's head this week. To be fair, I made an awesome sandwich. Borderline historical sandwich, even. But considering the thought and effort that I've been putting into sandwiches for the last 2 years or so, this was pretty run-of-the-mill.

I constructed this week's sandwich with two goals. The first goal is the same as it always is: Make a sandwich that is both fulfilling to my appetite and also delicious. Check. The second goal, unique to this week, was to create a sandwich that took advantage of a few extra ingredients that were lying around from sandwiches past.

Like I said before, this wasn't rocket science sandwich making, but it turned out to be a pretty monstrous, and successful, sandwich. I took my go-to Wegman's whole grain white bread, and spread a bit of mayo on it. From there I built the tower: Wegman's Jim Beam Deli Turkey, Sharp Provolone Cheese, hot red pepper relish, pickles, tomato, lettuce. The ingredients were run-of-the-mill... The combination was anything but.

Gotta hand it to Wegman's on this one (cause I never do...), that Jim Beam turkey is delicious. For the first time in 3 weeks, I'm not going to declare the sandwich I'm currently eating as possibly the best ever... But it was damn good. Took a little while to make, not in a complicated way, but more in a way that assembly line products tend to do. There are just a lot of components to this sandwich, and it was a little time consuming for something I end up eating in like 150 seconds.

Anyway, successful sandwich... I score this as a 9/10... Very enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment