Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Big Fat Greek Pita

My entire life, I've lived under the blind assumption that whether it's whole grain or white, toasted or untoasted, a sandwich can only be a sandwich if the ingredients are placed between two slices of bread. This sandwich prejudice has existed my entire life, and I'm not entirely sure where it originated. I grew up in a very diverse sandwich environment, and I was most certainly taught to embrace all different sandwiches, regardless of cultural background. So I'm not sure where this thought came from initially, but suffice to say, it's existed. I've only recently discovered that in changing what my concept of a sandwich is that I'm capable of opening up an entirely new world of sandwiches in my life. This is my bread awakening.

In previous stabs at sandwich making in the last several weeks, I have certainly been incorporating the previously mentioned bread experimentation into my sandwiches. Bagels, and English Muffins, while sounding totally normal and run-of-the-mill to some, are scary and intimidating ideas to me, the sandwich bread virgin. This week I totally turn that fear upside down.

My sandwich this week is a self-conceived greek inspired pita. Chicken Souvlaki is something I have only recently (within the last 4 years or so) discovered, not only as something I love, but also as something that just plain exists -- I'll give the credit to my wonderful fiancee for introducing me to it.

My pita consists of some chicken marinated in Wegman's Greek Marinade (grilled ahead of time), fresh lettuce, tomato, onion, and some really great Feta Cheese. I mix everything together in a bowl before placing it into the pita. I also chose to garnish the sandwich with some pepperoncinis. They add a little kick to the entire meal, and go very well with the sandwich, I feel.

This sandwich has been overall a great success. It's delicious, filling, and actually quite healthy, with the majority of what I'm eating being veggies. The construction of this sandwich is difficult, as the pita tends to fall apart at the sheer amount of stuffing that I feel I have to put into it, and so it's a super sloppy sandwich. Luckily I'm not trying to win a sandwich aesthetics competition, and so I'm going to look past that fact. The sandwich ends up being probably the most difficult of the 3 thus far to make, and tends to be pretty time consuming for me and my 30 minute lunch, but in the end the effort is totally worth it. I'm giving this Greek-inspired sandwich an 8.0/10. I would certainly consider making this sandwich in the future, with almost no changes.

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. - Katie (Dave Ryan's wife)

    ReplyDelete